The presence of mice on TV and in movies makes them seem like they might be fun to have around. Many times, they play crafty creatures that are quick on their feet and their small size doesn’t seem to be a factor in what they can get done. Mice actually do have many of the characteristics that their fictional counterparts do.
5 Amazing Mouse Facts
1. Mice are highly adaptive. Mice have the uncanny ability to adapt to surroundings and environments that are always changing. They seem undaunted by any situation they are put in or the presence of new objects, and their agility gives them the courage they need to explore. They can also squeeze into openings as small as the size of a dime. Their fuzzy bodies make them look bigger than they are which makes the task seem impossible –but they do! Mice also use their urine to mark where they have been.
2. Mice are fast runners and climbers. Mice can scale vertical surfaces like no other. Their tiny claws allow them to latch onto to almost any surface, and quickly. They will also use their whiskers to determine if a surface is smooth or rough. Mice also have the ability to move across power or telephone lines with skill. Their little feet can move them up to 8 mph making them very hard to capture. That’s the same as an average human running 160 mph!
3. Mice multiply very quickly. Mice can breed all year long if conditions are ideal. A female mouse can produce 7-8 litters a year, with 10-14 pups in each litter! This is bad news if the ideal conditions are your home. Their ability to adapt to any environment and high reproduction rates make mice one of the most successful mammals at survival.
4. Mice have excellent hearing. Mice can’t see very well so they rely on their excellent sense of hearing. Humans can hear in a frequency range of 20 Hz – 20 kHz, mice 1 kHz – 70 kHz. That’s impressive! Mice will produce high frequency sounds to communicate with each other. These sounds are inaudible to the human ear. With this information, humans have produced devices that can emit high-frequency tones to repel them.
5. Mice are natural swimmers. Mice would rather not swim, but if they have to, they can do it fairly well. With their flexibility and endurance, they can tread water for up to 3 days! They can also hold their breath for up to three minutes. This is pretty amazing considering humans can only do it for an average of two minutes. It truly seems like mice can handle any situation they are put in.
Rodent Control Services
These facts have taught us that mice are not only adaptable but intelligent too. This can make them a huge problem to deal with. Stewart Termite & Pest Control has a lot of knowledge when it comes to dealing with mice and other pests. Give us a call when you discover any critters in your home.